On Friday I worked at a bookkeeping job for a few hours and then I came home to make several dozen cupcakes for the birthday of a friend of our family. She is having a black, white and pink party. I made chocolate cake with vanilla butter cream and then decorated with small hand made flowers.
I spent much of Thursday pressing the fondant flowers so they would have time to air dry. I made lots (and lots) of these little blossoms so I'll have some in storage for all the upcoming cupcake-able events in the next month or so. Below is a left over cupcake, I think they turned out kinda cute.
Below is a box of the other blossoms I made... they are just waiting to be placed on their own cupcake. I experimented with a variety of single colours and two tones. I also tried a few different cutters and even did some free form blossoms with just a ball of RTR fondant. I really love the red ones... in real life they look like velvet and were made with flower moulding paste.
It took me a few tries to get used to using the flower mould to press the flowers and then get them to release with out destroying them but Mr W was happy (understatement of the century) to eat the damaged ones. I have previously spent 30c per blossom on similar small flowers from the cake decorating store, even factoring in the price of the cutter/veiner set and the fondant I think I am still in front. OK they did take me hours to make, but I was having fun so we wont cost out my time. Also the flowers from the store are only available in red, white or yellow so making my own gives me more colour choice too.